Do You Wear Underwear With Leggings? We've Got The Answer.
Welcome to the great debate. Today’s hot topic, surprise surprise, has to do with women’s panties and what to wear over them. Everybody loves a good pair of leggings. They hug your booty, they’re comfortable as heck, and they’re really damn cute. So what’s the problem? Wearing tight fabric all day begs the pressing question… Do you wear underwear with leggings?
To wear or not to wear underwear
I’m here to help, friends. When deciding what kind of underwear to wear under your leggings, it is important to consider a few different things such as the activity you’re doing and the fabric of your leggings and underwear. If you’re simply going about your daily business, then the biggest question around wearing underwear under leggings likely has to do with VPL: Visible Panty Lines.
This can be an interesting challenge. Leggings are always tight around the booty region, so wearing thick underwear with leggings means that they will likely show off some panty line. If panty lines are the problem, there are a couple of ways around this and plenty of options for underwear-wearing or not-wearing.
- Try something thinner: Not only is thinner fabric more likely to reduce VPL, but it also can be more comfortable under tight clothing. When you have two pieces of fabric on sensitive areas like your groin, irritation can occur. If you’re wearing a lacy thong under your tight leggings, the leggings are pushing that sometimes-itchy lace into your skin which can lead to rashes.
- Try something seamless: seamless means exactly what it sounds like - there will be NO seams on your underwear. No seams means no panty lines showing through your tight leggings making this type of underwear the best no show underwear for yoga pants. Give a seamless thong a try.
- Wear a longer shirt: If a panty line cannot be seen, does it even exist? Me thinks not. If you’re in a pinch and just HAVE to wear your granny panties with your tightest leggings, don’t worry. I’ve been there. Choose a longer tailed shirt to pair with your leggings. The shirt will literally cover your ass so you don’t have to worry about panty lines. Another option is tying a sweatshirt around your waist.
This all sounds complicated, can I just go commando?
Yes, yes you can wear no underwear at all. You can do whatever makes your heart happy. BUT, there are a few things you should consider before you do.
- What fabric are your leggings? If that fabric getting up close and personal with your vagina is not breathable, you may be doing your coochie more harm than good. Fabrics like cotton can hold in moisture. So if you are planning a strenuous workout with lots of sweat, your cotton leggings may become a breeding ground for yeast or bacterial infections. So if you’re going to sweat…commando…in cotton leggings, just make sure to take them off as soon as possible to let your lady breathe.
- What about discharge? Yep, that’s a thing. It’s as simple as this: you wash your underwear after every wear, right? If you go no undies in your leggings, you will want to wash those leggings after every wear.
- Okay but what if I’m just hanging out? Exercise your right to choose what the heck you wear (or don’t wear). As long as you are not sweating profusely, you can easily wear any pair of leggings with no undies at all. My momma says, “Always try something once. You won’t know if you don’t like it unless you try.” As long as you make sure to wash, not re-wear, any pair of leggings that you wear panty-less, you’ll be good to go.
- Are there any benefits to going commando? Similar to choosing a thinner underwear fabric, going commando can reduce irritation down south. In addition, although there’s no science behind it, I can tell you from personal experience that it feels pretty damn freeing to wear no undies.
If you’re not too keen on commando, there are STILL more options if you need to know what kind of underwear to wear with leggings.
I may be biased, but the best underwear for leggings are seamless thongs and the best part about that fact is that you can get some right here. Let me break it down. A thong forgoes hugging your cheeks for a more direct route: it goes right up your butt crack. By going up your crack, thongs reduce the amount of fabric on your butt therefore reducing your chance of panty lines.
But we didn’t stop there. We took every possible seam out of our thongs to make them virtually seamless. Less seams means less bulky fabric underneath your leggings. Speaking of bulky fabric, you’re gonna want something stretchy and thin to pair with that seamlessness. That’s why these undies are made from a nylon and spandex blend. Violà. No panty lines. No problems.
Now I bet you’re thinking about breathability, right? Every seamless thong you can find here has a 100% cotton liner for extra comfort and reduced chance of irritation. Try a subscription to get a new seamless thong every month for 35% off plus free shipping. Cancel anytime - you wear the pants.
We’ve covered a lot of ground here talking about Visible Panty Lines (aka VPL), the benefits and drawbacks of going commando, as well as an in depth description of why thongs are a fan favorite for wearing underneath your leggings.
All of this undie talk has brought me to another burning question: what if you, my precious reader, DGAF about panty lines?! What if you have no opinion on going commando? What if you just wanted a one line answer rather than paragraphs of information? I STILL have the answer. Above all in life, comfort is key. Let me say it again for the people scrolling aimlessly…
The true answer is: YOUR comfort is KEY.
If a specific cut of underwear makes you the most comfortable, whether it’s literal comfort or emotional comfort…you do YOU. If you can’t stand conforming to societal norms of wearing underwear everyday…don’t do it. Go commando forever. Tie your old underwear to a stake and set it on fire while chanting curses and spells. If you bend over backwards for a bikini cut, rock them and get more here.
If you’re a die hard for boyshorts, I get it. They’re fantastic. And you can get the best ones available right here. If you’re trying to show off those magnificent cheeks, hell yes. Shop cheeky undies here. And if you’re more of a buy-in-bulk kinda gal: save up to 33% with the women’s underwear pack builder. Buy more, save more, get more underwear. Live your life the way YOU want.